Predicting the outcome of games is always a dicey proposition, but given my track record I'm confident that this will reflect the final Pac Ten basketball standings on Sunday:
1. Washington (14-4) - Defeat Wazzu on Senior Day for Brockman and Dentmon.
2. UCLA (13-5) - Make NCAA seeding statement against the Oregon schools.
3. California (11-7) - Take a close loss versus the Tucson Kitties and rebound against the Devils.
4. Arizona State (11-7) - Throttle Stanford, then lose a nail biter to the Bears.
5. Arizona (10-8) - Jump off the NCAA bubble with home sweep of the Bays.
6. Southern Cal (9-9) - Home cooking agrees with Trojans as they dispatch Oregon and OSU.
7. Washington State (8-10) - Miracle three game run ends with thud in Seattle.
8. Oregon State (7-11) - Play competitive games in Los Angeles, but leave 0-2.
9. Stanford (5-13) - After getting swept in Arizona the Cardinal lick wounds in prep for CBI tourney.
10. Oregon (2-16) - Saved some face by beating OSU last Sunday, not so much against the LA schools.
Anyhow, the Pac Ten quarter final match ups would be incredible and the tournament is wide open. Under the seeding format I forsee this is how I predict the tournament playing out.
1. Washington vs. Oregon State - UW advances to semis
2. UCLA vs WSU - Bruins get revenge for earlier loss at Pauley
3. California vs USC - Trojans upend Golden Bears in mild surprise
4. ASU vs Arizona - Arizona finally figures out how to win late against Sendek's crew.
UW vs Arizona - Washington's depth too much for the Cats, and a still gimpy Jordan Hill, to overcome
UCLA vs USC - UCLA displays its depth and ability behind the arc versus Men of Troy
UW vs UCLA - National audience entertained by wide open game and get introduced to super frosh battle between a confident Jru Holiday and Isaiah Thomas. Home crowd backs the Bruins who narrowly escape with a 76-72 win and a likely #4 seed in West.